My Image Collage Generator is a Windows Forms application that uses a force-based algorithm to create tessellating patterns of images – the idea being that you can assemble a set of images of varying sizes and aspect ratios, and arrange them nicely on a canvas without having to place them manually.
I created this application primarily to demonstrate another use for force-based algorithms, however, its usefulness extends to producing aesthetically-pleasing arrangements of image thumbnails, which can be used for artistic, illustrative and summary purposes.
- Configure background colour (including transparent backgrounds)
- Various canvas sizes supported
- Choose between uniform and random initialisation
- Optional soft edges on images
- Preview several layouts before selecting one to render
- Show the layout algorithm as an animation
- Select ‘featured images’ which appear larger in the montage
- Save the resulting montage as a PNG image